Why Motivation and Attitudes are Like Car Maintenance
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Ben Franklin
Car maintenance is all about the little things. Changing the windshield wipers, getting the oil changed, keeping air in the tires and regularly servicing the vehicle with the dealership or mechanic will go a long way to save us money and headaches in the long run. These things are so simple and affordable yet many people fail to do them. I wonder why.
Want to keep your car running smoothly and performing its best for a long time? Then you know, the time to have your car checked out and serviced is before it breaks down, right? Seriously. You’re not going to turn a Pinto into an Aston Martin with maintenance but regardless of your ride, maintaining it will help your vehicle be the best it can be.
A well-maintained car doesn’t break down and performs optimally. People are the same way.
Attitude and Motivation Maintenance
Successful people do things to motivate ourselves and work on our positive attitudes every chance we get in the spare minutes throughout the day.
Don’t believe me. Go ask the most successful person you know.
The daily attitude and motivation maintenance exercises only take a few minutes but lead to higher productivity, better relationships, improved performance in every fact of our lives and will reduce (or even eliminate) bad days and bad attitudes all together.
Nothing happens overnight but in time you will see positive results in life with consistent attitude and motivation maintenance. Are you willing to do it?
The daily habits for maintaining positive attitude and staying motivated are SO simple and easy to do. But like anything simple to do, they are also easy, not to do.
- Make the bed first thing when we wake up [start the day on the right foot]
- Reading positive quotes or a few pages out of a uplifting book in the morning [takes two to three minutes]
- Leave a positive post on Facebook [takes 30 seconds]
- Laugh often
- Exercise regularly
- Read your goals [can take less than a minute] Reviewing our goals on a daily basis helps us stay focused and motivated despite temporary obstacles or setbacks we may face. With a strong enough WHY staying motivated is easy.
- Listening to your favorite song [takes three to five minutes depending on the length of the song] Our favorite songs put us in a good mood. Bottle that feeling up. Imagine starting every day with the mood your favorite song creates. Play the song. Create the mood.
- A random act of kindness
- Say a few positive affirmations. Pick a few that fit your life. Here are four I use:
- I am enthusiastically having the best day ever [we start to believe whatever we tell ourselves over and over. I used this as my reply to "How Are You Doing?" for an entire day last week - the results were incredible]. Try saying this three times in a row with emotion and a smile on your face. Feel ambitious? Add a fist pump!! YES!!
- I am excited about my life and striving to make others around me better today [serving others keeps us motivated and happy]
- I am an extremely successful entrepreneur who never gives up and produces outstanding results!
- Day by day in every way, I’m getting better and better [a good one for anyone going through some tough times or someone who wants to focus on incremental improvements]
Admittedly the self-talk and attitude maintenance may feel a little silly at first, it did for me too. Any time we grow we feel awkward at first.
Commit a year of your life to improving your attitude and motivation maintenance and you will be investing and taking care of your most important asset [hint: it's not your car]
Which do you spend more time and money on your attitude and motivation or your car?
Stay motivated and positive this week and happy holidays!!
Motivational quote of the week: People universally tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will maybe descend upon your like fine weather if you’re fortunate enough. But that’s not how happiness works. Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever to stay afloat on top of it.
Other links you will enjoy:
- Motivation for Getting Around the Right People [Positive Associations]
- Motivation for Investing in Your Greatest Asset Every Day [Attitude]
- Are These the Morals & Values to Live By [Ben Franklin]
- Auto Suggestion [Affirmations]
- Motivational Quotes [It would make my day if you add your favorite(s) to the list]